Giant Blue Cochin 7wk

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DylanChicken, Apr 17, 2016.

1. DylanChicken

DylanChicken New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    I'm new to this... This one is very gentle, but wondering if it's a pullet or cockerel? Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

cockerel. He's going to be magnificent when he's mature [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. DylanChicken

DylanChicken New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    Crap... Thanks... By "magnificent" do you mean he'll live up to his "giant" name? Hopefully he stays nice, or we'll have magnificent soup [​IMG]

4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I meant he'll be huge and stately. There's a good chance he'll be a perfect gentleman also. Cochins are known as gentle giants, the roosters are often calm and easy going. No guarantees, of course, but you've got a good chance. Being such a large breed, they're also slower to mature than your production breeds. That makes thing easier if you're raising him with pullets.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with donrae, "he will be huge & stately." Please don't hurt his feelings with talk of "magnificent soup."

6. DylanChicken

DylanChicken New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    This is my first year for chickens, I also have three children under 6 years. So the thought of Roosters makes me worry a little! He is a very mellow bird, and very sweet. But, when I hear "rooster" I think BIG, LOUD, and MEAN! Thank you, we'll keep him around and see how he turns out :)

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    With littles I can sure understand your concern. Kiddos always come first! And this guy will get big. Good thing is, if you do decide not to keep him, he's a rare enough breed you could have good luck finding him a new home. Soup is a possibility of course but those Cochins are a lot of fluff and not much meat til they are over a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by