Giant Blue Cochins purchased, maybe bantams? What size should they be?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gerrbearCB, May 23, 2016.

1. gerrbearCB

gerrbearCB Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    How big should 5 week old Giant Blue Cochins be? Suppose to be Giant Blue cochin, not sure if they are bantam, not getting very tall. I just put them into the baby half of the coop with 11 week old, 4 RIR and 2 PBR.
    Plan to let them out in the run with supervision daily, when not working 12h shifts. hope to totally release them to the big girls in 2 weeks. They can see, but not touch. If they are bantams what size would they be now? Standard Giant Blues?
    I have a 2 wk. old Hamburg and a 1 wk.old Cuckoo maran that I want to transition to the baby side of the coop in 2-3 weeks. Is warm, humid and rainy this week, weather should be great for the transition, but I am not sure what size they should be now at 5 weeks.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Could you post a photo of them next to some other breed of the same age, so we could see scale? I have never heard of Giant cochins, but, know there are banties.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Check out the Cochin thread..this is for the Large Fowl Cochin. I really like the bantams. I have some outside right not that are in the grow out pen.
    They aren't very big at 5 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    The black ones are my bantam cochins, and they are around 4 weeks here. That white is a younger Millie.

[​IMG]

6. gerrbearCB

gerrbearCB Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    sorry, just got back to this. I no longer think they are bantams. When I purchased them they were classified as Giant. I believe in more research that they are just the Large Fowl variety. They are big, maturing slowly, nice birds, pretty shy. I believe I ended up with a blue and a black, NOT 2 blues. I will post some pics later. I also have a SS Hamburg, 3 weeks younger, she is a tiny thing, but gorgeous. Should try to get pics soon. Thanks for the support!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by