GIANT bug in the feed! (counts as a family story)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jul 18, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I was out in my new coop, just talking to my meaties and my sweet sweet goosie, and I reached my hand into the bag to let them cheat a little from the 12 on, 12 off, and when I was pulling my hand out, I KNEW something was SUPER wrong... and I whipped my hand out, and flung feed and a G I A N T bug out into the 27 birds.... and they scattered, and stared as the giant, huge, disgusting bug crawled through the middle of them, then walked up the wall... it looked like I imagine cockroaches to look, only more 3-d, less flat, and bigger. we don't have cockroaches here... but it was Nasty, and I feel all skeeved out...

and this counts as a family story, because I just HAD to share the grossness with y'all.

2. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    You mean they didn't catch it and chase each other until they pulled it into disgusting pieces that they gobbled down? What kind of birds do you have?

3. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    Sounds like a kind of millipede to me. There are all sorts of those and they can be huge and cockroach looking, but more dome-ish.

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Maybe it was a South Carolina "Palmetto Bug" aka "Charleston Butterfly", a particularly large and obnoxius roach!

5. elijahboy

elijahboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    i doubt they have palmetto bugs that far north i have never seen them any farther than nc

Quote:

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:They're moving north due to global warming (just kidding!!!)

7. chickensducks&agoose

Quote:Little ones! They backed off, and just stared. They're only 1-2 weeks old (mixed bunch) and this bug was easily as long as they are tall... and yeah, it looked a lot like a palmetto bug, maybe less shiny (also covered in feed dust)... but I think VT is a little too far north, and the feed was locally milled, so it didn't hitchhike in the bag... anyway, Gross Gross Gross. I have limited tolerance for icky bugs that i have to TOUCH! ewwwww...

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Cockroaches are EVERYWHERE. We have them up in Maine.
    They can survive a nuclear bomb... they can survive in a bag of feed.
    Go to your feed store and tell them about it... roaches in feed is bad bad bad!

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    chickensducks&agoose :

Quote:Little ones! They backed off, and just stared. They're only 1-2 weeks old (mixed bunch) and this bug was easily as long as they are tall... and yeah, it looked a lot like a palmetto bug, maybe less shiny (also covered in feed dust)... but I think VT is a little too far north, and the feed was locally milled, so it didn't hitchhike in the bag... anyway, Gross Gross Gross. I have limited tolerance for icky bugs that i have to TOUCH! ewwwww...

Are they Cornish X ?? I assume so as you said on 12off 12... MY cornish couldnt for the life of them get over their fear of bugs to actually try to eat one ... Stupid Sweet Lil things​

10. chickensducks&agoose

My cornish X's LOVE eating moths, mosquitos, earwigs etc... but this bug was big. I think it may have been a cicaida...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by