1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

GIANT CANADA GEESE at my parents lake

Discussion in 'Geese' started by animals1981, Jun 19, 2018.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    I got some chinese geese for my parents lake. egyptian also are there.

I see domestic and canada geese get along well usually? is there ever any trouble ? They are wild and mind their own business clean up weeds etc...

Egyptian geese are a pain though.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I understand Egyptian geese are pretty territorial and during breeding season will kill other birds. But this is something I have read on here not something I have personally researched. So if all of those on the lake are getting on good that's awesome.

I'd say if it's a good size body of water with plenty of nesting spots they might all do okay together.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Unless the lake is large the Egyptians will keep all other off the water during breeding season.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. animals1981

animals1981 Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    I noticed they leave loons alone, and swans alone, I also noticed giant canada geese can chase them off. BUt i saw two egyptian geese take over a goshawks nest. That is some serious serious courage. I would not go near a goshawk nest.

Miss Lydia and Lil Drake40 like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I had to look up goshawk not this far down. But I'd say they have to be pretty ornery to chase a goshawk off her nest.

6. mountain chicken

mountain chicken Chirping

Apr 12, 2018
    EVERGREEN , COLORADO
    some of those geese get out right mean . when I was a teenager
    many many many years ago, just walking home from school , for no reason I was attacked by a flock of 6 geese . I rolled up in a ball with my eyes covered waiting for help . I was totally helpless and terrified.

police and fire rescue came they beat them off with small bats , those birds really did a number on me bruises from head to toe . I think if I didn't cover my eyes they probably would have gone for them as well.

the next day police closed off a 4 block area and they shot and killed every one of those bleeping birds. They were deemed a threat to the towns safety .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by