'Giant" chicken breeders near sacramento cali

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by certifiedchef, Jan 29, 2011.

1. certifiedchef

certifiedchef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Carmichael
    My son and I went to the PPBA show in Stockton today, we thought we knew our chicks - huh they are really big! WTH! so, after meeting a really great fellow BYCer at the show we learned that feed stores sell BYbirds not BIG show birds - my son thought the BIG birds were awesome (he's 6) . Do I want to introduce a big bird into a small backyard flock? RIR, EE, BR and Bu ORf. 4 pullets in all - we love our girls, but when we saw the show birds it was like - wow!! too cool! do we maybe need to seek out a CAA group (chicken addicts anonymous)
    just thinking outload, love all the feedback we get -

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    LOL you have had the same reaction that most folks have when they see proper birds. Most folks who buy mumbo jumbo hatchery birds think they have chickens until they see real birds and mess themselfs at the difference in size and quality. Real breeders don't sell to hatcheries, it's against the code LOL.

AL

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Maybe if they did, there would be hatchery birds available that breeder-type folks wouldn't make fun of. Just sayin'.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:The real reason they don't is because the hatchery has mandates on hatching egg production, so the hatchery breeders cross & mix Pairings with whatever they can get away with to do that, then the resulting chicks/chickens are something close to the breed you think you are getting.

AL

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Exactly. [​IMG]

Honestly, if you want some BIG birds, a good buy is getting hatching eggs from breeders here on BYC. If you have a broody hen or incubator, there's plenty of us willing to help you with your big hen dream. [​IMG] And yes, they get along just fine with normal hatchery chickens. I myself have a flock of hatchery hens mixed with good quality hens.

6. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Who are these breeders near Sacramento with "Giant" Chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by