Giant Cochin Show Potential Chick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by k0r1nag, May 10, 2011.

1. k0r1nag

k0r1nag Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    My husband loves giant cochins, so we acquired 5 chicks from a show quality flock in the hopes that we will have some birds to take to the Fall show in Washington. I would love some opinions/information on what to look for in a high quality chick. I do own a Standard of Perfection so I know these chicks don't currently have any disqualifying issues, but what should I look for in a "winner"?

Here are two of our chicks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although it is not easy to see in the photo, they have HUGE foot feathers.

Thanks for any input!

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I don't have any input on their show quality, but where did you get them? My neighbor is in love with giant cochins, she had 2 but they passed away. I'd like to locate some for her. Apparently they are hard to find?

3. k0r1nag

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    Quote:I got mine from a pair of sisters who bought the parent flock from a hatchery that was no longer offering them. I guess with the SQ birds they are so heavily feathered that they require artificial insemination in order to get fertile eggs. The first two chicks we got were the only two that hatched from a batch of 18 eggs. Maybe this accounts for why they are hard to find. I know I have seen hatching eggs for Giant Cochins on ebay.

Good luck!

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's much too early to evaluate these birds. It takes the better part of a year for these birds to mature. That said, the Black chick appears to have vulture hocks which is a disqualification.
    Since you said that the parent stock came from a hatchery I doubt these birds will turn out to be "show quality".

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Quote:X2 I'm seeing vulture hocks also. those are the long harder feathers sticking out at the hocks on the bird. there is a huge difference between hatchery cochins and exhibition cochins. Were the parent birds Shown ? If so where ? there is a big difference between showing at a county fair and an APA show.

6. k0r1nag

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    Thanks for the info NYREDS & muddyhorse. I know that it will take them a long time to develop for actual evaluation, but I thought I should start trying to find out what to look for as they develop – like the vulture hock info which I read about in the SOP. I do have D'Uccles, so am familiar with what vulture hawks look like on adults, but how can you tell the difference on chicks of such a fluffy bird as the cochin? Is it the length? Stiffness of the feather? Direction the feathers point? Also, the black bird is two weeks older than the blue so I can't use that as a comparison.

I am hoping to continue to go to regional shows in order to see what to look for, as well as continuing to do research online. For me being able to see what they should look like is much more understandable than just reading about it. And there don't seem to be many photos of show quality chicks as they are feathering out to use as reference.

As to the "hatchery", it was a small, regional hatchery and supposedly the parents had been shown, but I do not know where or how they placed. I did get to see the flock and several birds looked at least as nice (from my limited understanding) as the birds I saw at a recent APA show (although I was unable to stay to see how they scored). If they don't end up being show quality, at least they will help me to better understand what I am looking for and help me to evaluate my housing and care set-up.

Thanks again! Also, any suggestions for where to get show quality chicks and or hatching eggs would also be greatly appreciated.

7. k0r1nag

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    I think I get it!

From the SOP: Hocks -- covered with flexible feathers, curving inward about the joints; free from vulture like feathering.

It is the hardness and the direction that make these vulture hocks as they should be softer and curve toward the feet instead of perpendicular to the leg. Correct?

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Yes. Also meant to mention; Cochins come in Large Fowl or Bantam, there are no "giant" Cochins.

9. k0r1nag

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    Quote:Thanks for the reminder. I did actually know that, but as they are often referred to as "Giants" outside of the show world I guess I forgot. So many things to learn and understand about raising and showing poultry – but that is what makes it so interesting.[​IMG]

Korina

10. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    North Dakota
    Quote:Chicks sometimes appear to have vulture hocks, so give them time to develop. Unless the feathers are hard, it's probably just the normal feathering that looks vulture until the chick grows.

Becky (I have LF Blue Cochins)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by