Giant Comb!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bubble&Squeak, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Bubble&Squeak

Bubble&Squeak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    My 4 month old hen has a giant comb that has suddenly flopped over it's so big! She is a sex-link. I was wondering if anyone knows why it is so huge. Is it all in the type of breed or what? I'm confused.

-Jess in Florida

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Many hens have huge combs that flop over. Leghorns, minorcas, andalusians. What kind of sex-link do you have? Some of them do get quite large combs, too.

3. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    My BR is 5 months and hers is huge and flops over too-- and she's been laying eggs for 2 weeks, so I know she's a she. [​IMG]

4. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have 2 Black Sex link, now a year old, but one got a floppy comb at about 4 mo, the other's comb is smaller and does not flop. It has been an easy way to tell them apart. They are both great layers - even during the past winter.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I have a turken, and she is 3+ months, and she has a big comb, at least I think so. The feed store told us that she is a pullet. My DIL says its a girl, and she was right about our RIR being a roo! [​IMG] Funny thing is, I think ALL Turkens look like roos! But they're cute in their own way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by