1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giant crayfish found in Tennessee is new species

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mugen, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Mugen

Mugen Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A new species of giant crayfish literally crawled out from under a rock in Tennessee, proving that large new species of animals can be found in highly populated and well-explored places, researchers said on Wednesday.

The new crayfish should not have been easily overlooked, as it is huge -- twice the size of other species, the team at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Eastern Kentucky University said.

But the crustacean is also quite rare, they report in the Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington.

"This isn't a crayfish that someone would have picked up and just said, 'Oh, it's another crayfish,' and put it back," said University of Illinois aquatic biologist Chris Taylor, one of the researchers.

"You would have recognized it as something really, really different and you would have saved it," Taylor added in a statement.

Taylor and Guenter Schuster of Eastern Kentucky University found their first specimen of the new species under one of the biggest rocks in the deepest part of a commonly explored Tennessee creek.

The new species, called Barbicambarus simmonsi, is about 5 inches (12 cm) long and has antennae covered with a sensitive fringe of tiny, hair-like bristles, called setae.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/oukoe_uk_crayfish_giant

Farm 'em, boil 'em, and let's all enjoy 'em. Yuppie!

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A new species of giant crayfish literally crawled out from under a rock in Tennessee, proving that large new species of animals can be found in highly populated and well-explored places, researchers said on Wednesday.

That is very cool.​

3. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    That is indeed really neat. When I lived in Montana we had huge crayfish too, sometimes larger than discribed in the link. I don't know if they were unusual, but to me they were just crayfish. When I saw the LA crayfish on the foodnetwork I thought "wow they should let them get bigger before eating" because the big greenish crays were the one's I was used to seeing. I had no idea there were so many different species.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I saw one of those here in KY last summer, I thought it was a freaking crab! It's claws were at least 2 1/2" long. My son and I were in a culvert that goes under the road (looking for little crawdads...he likes to catch them [​IMG]) when I saw that monster! We went on through the culvert to check out another mud hole and when we came back the monster-sized crawdad was gone. Didn't know it was something special though [​IMG]

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Huh...we used to find those quite often when we went saining for crayfish to go fishing with! We always threw the bigger ones back [​IMG] I know where there are several of those "big daddies" we called them because we called the regular sized ones crawdads. They've been around here for years. I didn't know they were a different specie though. That's good to know [​IMG] I've never eaten them either, though I know some do. Giant mudbugs=new specie....who'd a thunk it? [​IMG]

6. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks for posting this. I read it this morning and shared per email with some family members. My boys used to love catching crawdads when they were kids. 5 inches is a big fellow sure enough!!!!

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Sounds like a celebration is in order.... mudbug boil anyone? [​IMG]

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Very cool indeed! Discoveries of new species are exciting and interesting. What an awesome species of crawdad!

9. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    We need some o' them down here! I'll take about 5 pounds boiled with corn and potatoes on the side please...

10. Hog Dog

Hog Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    A new species of crayfish in my neck of the woods. The next time I am out fishing in the creek I will have to look for one of these large crayfish .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by