Giant Dewlap Geese (Any breed)?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AilsVonHelson, Jan 5, 2009.

1. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    Hi there, i was wondering if anyone out there had any Giant Dewlap breeds of geese, and what do you recommend for a school yard. (A FFA agriculture department.) And i really want geese to show at fair in the next few years. [​IMG]

Pics, descriptions and personal experience are appreciated. [​IMG]

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I dont have pics, personal experience or a Dewlap for that matter. I do think the Giant Dewlapped Toulouse is a cool bird. I am going to get at least one pair this spring. I hear they are generally pretty mild birds. I may get 4. Does anyone know if a trio works or if they pair up and you need a gander for every goose.

3. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Midwest
    I raise these birds in Buff and Gray. They are docile and easy to work with. You can see pictures and descriptions on my website www.fancygeese.com

I think you can have a male service two females. I keep mine in pairs--mine are bonded to one mate--but I dont see any reason you cant keep trios. Hope that helps.

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Sometimes there are Toulouse geese without the dewlap. Do not show these. Make sure you birds have a dewlap to show. I have three and they are quite social.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My buff dewlap toulouse came from th other mothergoose's (christy ritter) egg stock. I hatched them myself. They are gorgeous, HUGE and docile.

6. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    Oo, thanks for the info! I am hoping someone has info on Dewlapped African's also. [​IMG]

But Dewlap Toulouse are are prefrence for giant geese. Although my Agriculture teacher said it's a no-go for keeping them at school, space limited. [​IMG] I wonder if anyone would let me board my geese, like horses. [​IMG]
    Oh well, i'll have to wait till i get my own place.

And yeah, i'll only be showing Toulouse with Dewlaps, IMHO, non-dewlapped toulouse are great pets and weeders, but i hate there appearance. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by