Giant eggs, young chickens

CrazyChickeyLady

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2020
I've got pullets just starting to lay. I was prepared for small eggs and small abnormalities but lately there's one thats laying very large eggs. They don't even fit in a large egg carton spot. Im worried this is hurting her and wonder if this is something I'm causing or can help remedy. Im not sure who it is yet but by the color difference I'm thinking it's one of my isa brown's or possibly these golden colored girls I've taken in. There's no blood on the egg or poo so I don't think she's struggling but worried over time it'll be an issue for her.

MysteryChicken

Crossing the Road
May 31, 2018
East, Tawas Michigan
I've got pullets just starting to lay. I was prepared for small eggs and small abnormalities but lately there's one thats laying very large eggs. They don't even fit in a large egg carton spot. Im worried this is hurting her and wonder if this is something I'm causing or can help remedy. Im not sure who it is yet but by the color difference I'm thinking it's one of my isa brown's or possibly these golden colored girls I've taken in. There's no blood on the egg or poo so I don't think she's struggling but worried over time it'll be an issue for her.
I have an EE that started laying huge eggs, & still does.

halefamily_flock

Songster
Sep 16, 2020
Southeast Misssouri
I have a Spitzhauben-Dominique cross that just started laying a couple of weeks ago. After about 8-10 small eggs (up to 1.5 ounce), she just laid an extra large today (2.2 ounce). Not sure if it will continue or go back to small ones for a little longer, but it's the size I would expect from her eventually.
(she doesn't seem distressed in any way)

Jan 2, 2021
One of my Leghorns and a Red sex link first eggs were jumbo. 2.6 oz double yolked. The Red sex link still lays giant eggs. And then my ridiculous silkie layed one that was .8 oz it had a wierd ripple too. Its pretty common for new layers to lay odd eggs. She will eventually lay a consistent size. Tasty omlets for you!

Top Bottom