Giant eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Catfishfedd, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Catfishfedd

Catfishfedd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    NE Oklahoma
    I have two beautiful white marans in the flock, one of them all of a sudden started laying scale busters out of the blue, I'd think i found the golden goose, but this isn't right, the one on the bottom is what her normal sister is producing, what gives???[​IMG]

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Some chickens just lay bigger eggs. I have a couple of leghorns that lay extra large eggs most of the time, but the smallest one will go thru times of laying jumbo eggs. She usually lays jumbo for 2-3 weeks then is back to extra large like the other one. As long as everybody is healthy and active just enjoy the larger omlets.

3. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    Those eggs are AWESOME! I bought a couple of Leghorns last year because my barred rock, dominique, easter egger, and orphingtons quit laying a good part of the winter and the leghorns keep on laying like good girls. One of them and my barred rock lay giant eggs too but haven't seen one quite that large! You've got a winner! It would be interesting to know how many grams that big one is. If you get another one like that (I'm sure you've gobbled that one up already) you ought to weigh it! My largest was 87 grams. Normal ones run between 65 and 70 and my dominique consistently lays embarrassing 35-40 gram baby eggs! Congrats! Maybe you'll get some double yolkers too!

4. Catfishfedd

Catfishfedd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    NE Oklahoma
    My EEs and Marans don't lay for anything in winter either, I've also just got some WLs, But they're still little girls, I just got a scale today, thanks for mentioning it! I hadn't gobbled it but I did the first beast she layed, and believe it or not it was even bigger than that! Those two went 81 and 92. That first one was over 100 easy, all single yolkers, her sister's both weigh 60 and they've always been perfectly uniform. They're only 14 months too, what a joy she is![​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by