Giant goose egg - 228 grams

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Ozzy Lorp, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Ozzy Lorp

Ozzy Lorp New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

We have a small flock of geese. They are African Grey males and Toulouse females. We hatched and sold lots of geese this spring and then kept most of the last hatch.
    Our girls have started laying again (in the heat of the summer?) and I have to say, the eggs are remarkable!!
    We started out this spring at about 120 grams and gradually rose to 150+ grams, but I cannot imagine them averaging much more than that. At the end of spring, most eggs were 150+ grams, but my wife found one today that weighed in at 228 grams!!!!
    The few we have gotten over the past days are about 155 grams.
    I am sure this egg is a fluke, but do any of y'all know if they normally lay larger eggs?? That is, do they hit their stride in the second or third year?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. gm21255

gm21255 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    I have a small flock of sebastopols. They are medium weight geese. Their egg laying season is Feb thru June here in the Northwest. My yearling females laid smaller eggs than the females that were 2 and 3 years old. Even with the difference in overall egg size, the weight still averaged 150 grams. Just a short time after all the geese started laying, one of my females laid this huge egg. I don't know why I didn't weigh it. She didn't have a mate so we couldn't incubate it. She only laid this one big egg....all the rest of her eggs were normal size (note the smaller egg in the photo).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    That is one big egg by that can of diet soda! WOW!

4. RugenerGooser

RugenerGooser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    New Mexico
    OUCH!!!![​IMG]Poor Gooser! Got your message RURU...will PM you![​IMG]

5. helennguyen

helennguyen New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Do u still have more goose eggs for sale?I need some,pls contact me soon,I really need them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by