1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giant hens, no eggs - BBQ incoming

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rhawn, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Rhawn

Rhawn Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I've got 6 Buff Orp hens that I got back in spring. They are enormous. My biggest, Misses Wings, looks like she should be cranking out eggs like every 5 minutes.

They live in a chicken mansion and eat like royalty.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=217255

They have 2 of the Target plastic bin totes for nesting boxes. I've gone out there at night and all 6 of them are either in the totes or sitting on the upper edges. They poop like mad in the totes as well.

No rooster and most importantly NO FREAKING EGGS. These girls need to shape up or face potential BBQ and rotisserie options.

Suggestions oh wonderful and helpful backyard chicken community, I beg you!

2. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Wait...they will lay no egg before its' time.
    I had BO's that didn't start laying till they were 8 months or older. But when they started, they laid through the winter and into the spring and summer before they started molting. After the molt, the eggs just got bigger.
    You have a wonderful breed, just give them time. [​IMG]

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    it takes time eggs will eventually come could they be hiding them? are they molting? i still have some that were born in january and havent layed yet.

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Were they laying when you got them? If not then they should start soon depending on there age. If they have been then they are more than likely molting or going to molt soon. Have you see alote of feather's around the coop? If so that is a good indication that they are already molting. None of my birds are laying right now because of molting......give them time. It shouldn't be long before you are getting eggs....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  5. Rhawn

Rhawn Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Central Virginia
    What does Molting mean? Yes, there are lots of feathers everywhere.

6. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    molting is they lose there feathers for a fresh new coat and if you have feathers all over the place ide say they are. when molting they dont lay ive had a hen she molted and then started laying its not very common but it happens hope you find eggs soon.

7. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    This is too funny . I thought I was the only one that threatened their chickens . I tell mine all the time .. "make me breakfast , OR I make you for dinner !" ... Patience is a freakin' hard virtue !

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Welcome to life with chickens...we have 18 that are on the edge of laying age now 10 more that take longer...3 eggs a day at best..I keep telling them I want breakfast or they will be dinner but all I get is a Baawwkk
    Any day now they will all be laying then my younger pullets will catch up and I will be swimming in eggs BUT until then I'm hungry [​IMG]
    What are they eating? Diet can play a big part in egg laying.Wormed lately? Lice/mites? days are getting shorter do they have enough daylight?
    Could be many things you didn't say how old they are Spring chicks like my slackers are large but not old enough.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If there are feathers everywhere then they are molting and most likely not lay until they get stop molting. This can last a month or more.

10. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    I know how you feel, we are still waiting on our 25 week old chickens to lay us an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by