1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giant jersey chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dfales77, Mar 21, 2017.

1. dfales77

dfales77 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    I have 9 black sexlink hens. I was thinking of getting two giant jerseys. Is this safe to do given the extreme size difference between the two?

2. ChickenGuy512

ChickenGuy512 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    It should be fine,the size of the rooster doesn't determine egg size in the hen (unlike cattle, where having a low birth weight bull is ideal for cows). Because the egg is essentially and external uterus, it should be fine.

The only issue that may arise is having two roos on 9 hens. You could get the same job done with one roo on those hens. Having 2 roosters will likely make your hens loose their saddle feathers because of the mating frequency of having that ratio 2:9.

Just out of curiosity, which color Jersey Giant are you planning on? What black selling cross do your hens come out of?

-Caleb

3. dfales77

dfales77 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Sorry maybe I wasn't clear, we want to add 2--3 jersey giant hens, trying to keep out the roosters. My wife just loves the breed and thought it would be an interesting add to our flock

4. ChickenGuy512

ChickenGuy512 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    Ohhhh I see. I would think that the pecking order would be reestablished when you integrate them, but other than that, once the pecking order is established, you should be okay. Jersey's tend to be pretty calm and docile, but will likely make the top of the pecking order because of the significant size difference. Many people say not to mix such dramatic size difference in one flock, but if your wife love the giants, you might as well give it a shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by