Giant knot on chest??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by garngang, May 7, 2009.

1. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    I have a barred rock chick that has a huge knot on her chest...is this ok? Should I be concerned?????

2. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Sounds like maybe her crop is full........

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    This is where the chickens crop is. Food is stored there, sounds like your barred rock has been eating good. The crop will be empty in the morning. If it isn't than repost because you could have sour crop going on. Sour crop will have a smell to it if I remember correctly. Let us know but I think your O.K.

4. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    Oh thank you! I can't believe it's like a food baby! LOL that's too funny! Well thanks again for the help. You guys know everything.

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yup, the crop. Make sure it's not really hard, that could mean she's crop bound. And if she's constantly twisting her neck that means she's trying to force food down (which is also a crop binding hint). But crop binding doesn't happen too often. I love it when they eat way too fast and sit there, mouth agape, regretting their last meal. lol

6. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    How was your BRs crop this morning? Empty I am assuming and ready to fill it up again today. It will freak you out if you don't know what it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by