Giant light sussex? rEALLY? :O pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magicpigeon, Nov 27, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I got a light sussex and australorp chicks about a month ago and I remember the seller said the sussex was called a "giant light sussex" and from the "peter smith rooster line"...I'm new to big birds (old silkie breeder LOL), and was wondering if these things...had any relevance to the size or appearance of my chicks? The australorp is much bigger than the sussex, and only 2 days older, and it has a tail about 1 inch long! :eek:
    The sussex has got a much smaller tail and is actually a real attention seeker [​IMG] She chirps constantly when I see her in the morning [​IMG]

I'll post some pics soon. Thanks! here they are now...

Sussex:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Australorp:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS Could the sussex be a rooster? It doesn't have a comb or anything and about a week ago, i was SURE it was a pullet [​IMG] But it grows so slowly compared to the australorp...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If anything the Australorp is your cockerel. See the comb development there? [​IMG]

The Sussex is fine. By what the breeder said, it may just be a heritage, true type Sussex, which naturally grow slower than hatchery bred Sussex. Looks like a pullet so far though.

3. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Your black chick is a roo....

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I know Greenfire is breeding some really large Sussex. I have a friend who has some and they are really big, he said. They also advertise on their website that they got some really good stock and are breeding for the larger birds of this breed/variety.
    I don't see any markings yet on yours, I would think you should see one or two dark feathers coming in. How old did you are say they are.
    And I must agree, the BR is looking rooish with all that comb already.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    The sussex hatched on the 2nd of November, so she's around 3-4 weeks [​IMG] Actually, I noticed some black in her wings but didn't make much of it...
    The australorp grew a tail really fast and is a scaredy-cat like the sussex (which is why i though he was a hen) but it attacked a silkie that was 2 months old, which at the time i thought was weird...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by