1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giant mealworms - are they sterile?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cpchicks, Jun 28, 2011.

1. cpchicks

cpchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    After reading the thread about mealworms here on BYC I decided to raise some for my chickens. I bought a carton at our local feed store and put them in a plastic box with oatmeal, bran and a couple of slices of potato. They seem to be doing fine, but I just read a post on the mealworm thread that the giant ones are sterile. I checked the carton mine came in and they are giants! Has anyone had experience with the giants? If they are sterile I may as well feed them to the chickens and start over. [​IMG]

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Wellllll, then how do they breed? Humm? [​IMG]

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Maybe they're like mules? Part one breed and part another, and the result is sterile?

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It depends on whether they are Tenebrio molitor treated with Juvenile Hormone (sterile) or if they are Zophobas morio (not sterile). How big are the larvae?

5. cpchicks

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    They measure 1 to 1 1/4 inches. I've never seen the "other" mealworms. How big are they?

6. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    While big, they don't seem giant (at least not yet). I wonder if you have regular mealworms, labeled as "giant" to stand out from the "superworms". It's just so hard to tell without the presence of pupae. Have you seen any pupae yet?

7. cpchicks

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:Yes, I think I have a few pupae. [​IMG] They are lighter in color. Is there some distinguishing characteristic? [​IMG]

8. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Neither T. molitor treated with hormones, nor Z. morio will pupate at that size. You most likely have regular mealworms. Which means your colony is about to explode! [​IMG]

9. cpchicks

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] Yipee! Thank you for replying to my post! Our weather is cool today so there's not much activity in the mealworm farm. I've been keeping it on a shelf in the coop. It's in the upper 50s here at night and in the mid 80s to mid 90s during the day. I don't know what I could do to improve on that, but what is ideal?

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I read the information on your website; very interesting. I've pasted the mealworm info to my chicken folder for reference. [​IMG]

Thanks to BYC for making all these great minds accessible to those of us that are in need of answers. [​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I also purchased the giant mealworms, that was months ago and they never changed to beetles. So I would say they are sterile!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by