Giant Non Double Yolked egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RingAroundTheRosie, Mar 12, 2018.

1. RingAroundTheRosie

RingAroundTheRosie Chirping

Sep 27, 2017
    So we have an ISA brown that began laying over 2 weeks ago. In her first week, she laid a huge egg, that I figured would be a double yolker. We recorded the cracking and it was just that. So yesterday when we see the ISA Brown laid yet another giant egg, I assumed the same. This morning I cracked it into the pan for eggs over easy for the kids and rather then it being a double yolk it was literally just a humongous egg and yolk. Is this just a normal thing for new layers, like a fluke of the process?
    Giant Egg1.jpg Giant egg.jpg

Farmer Connie and Riche Bronson like this.
  2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    It's a sexlink/RIR thing, in my experience. Both breeds (okay, breed and crossbreed) produce some pretty large eggs, especially when beginning to lay or on a really high-protein feed.

Farmer Connie likes this.
  3. Riche Bronson

Riche Bronson Songster

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    My RIR’s always lay huge eggs like that. I think some breeds are just big egg layers. Scary tho, because the only issues I’ve had with laying have been the giant egg layers. I would suggest maintaining a very consistent diet for that hen. You don’t want to start having issues with her becoming egg bound etc (which happened to one of mine when I upped the protein in their feed when they were sick one time.) Nightmare! Until then just enjoy the giant eggs that barely fit in a standard carton! How cool is that!?

4. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: