Giant pooky

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flakey chick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    My girl BR "layed" a pooky in the nest. It was the size and shape of the nest eggs. Could she be practicing?[​IMG] I bet there was quite a bit of cackling involved too. Am I just too optimistic?

More relevant info: She is 26 weeks. Sometimes her comb and wattles are bright red, sometimes they are very pale. They can change several times in one day. She will finally let me pet her back, but it isn't an obliging squat. It is more like she is putting up with it, but trying to avoid it. She has a huge butt. Am I likely to get an egg before NewYears, or will I not see it until the days really start to get longer?

2. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Hens start doing huge poops just before they start to lay. She is the right age and the signs are good. Best wishes for lots of eggs soon.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with warren. And the days have started getting longer since last Sunday, the 21st. It's only a tiny bit each day, but they are getting longer (thank goodness!)

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Yeah! That is great news. Maybe I'll get a wonderful Christmas present.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Interesting! I hadn't heard that.

6. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Quote:Interesting! I hadn't heard that.

I did not know about it either until I got two young birds who did 'dainty' little poops and then one day I saw poops the size of large eggs. They do these in the morning and only one each. After a few days they started laying and have not stopped since.

I must be strange to find this subject so interesting, but it takes all sorts.

7. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    [​IMG]

I swear I have laughed every time I have come back to check on threads, and read your title.

A 'pooky'? That is so cute.

Cheri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by