Giant poop. Concerns?!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rashid100, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Hello everyone. My female button quail left the biggest dropping ever today. Just wanted to ask if there's a problem or what's wrong. Any replies will be really appreciated. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    It could be that first giant poop in the morning after not going all night. Very typical. Also if the hen is going broody she will not poop until she comes off the nest and it will be enormous. Nothing to worry about.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    yep check for a nest and eggs somewhere this is typical of a broody hen.

4. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    She seems to be going broody. Should I let her hatch the eggs? Do button quails hatch their eggs successfuly and make good parents?

5. Sill

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Yes let her set and hatch her own eggs. Broodiness is being bred out of our quail. Anytime we can let one be a mom helps slow that down. I had a button hen successfully hatch and raise her clutch.

Be prepared to remove the male if he becomes a pest and demands mating while she is trying to incubate. A really good roo will call her to food when she gets off the nest and I've heard some will even set on the eggs while the hen is off, though I've never seen it personally.

Give her "safe" places to lay and incubate where she can be partially hidden. Maybe some greenery hung near a nest box or whatever. While they set they often like to use straw, grass or shavings to build up the nest around them to help conserve heat and hide the nest. Placing these items within reach of a nest will help strengthen the urge to nest and gives the hen something to do.

And yes, be prepared for more giant poops!

6. Sill

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Oh, and if you do get some tiny button babies know that as small as they are they can go right through 1/2x1 wire, they are almost the size of a bumble bee! I had a couple of escapees because of that and had to put some screen mesh over the bottom few inches of the aviary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by