Giant Rooster!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aubreynoramarie, Oct 25, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    a few months ago my boyfriend and i went to a swap looking for hens. a woman there was selling a gigantic rooster. he was sooooo gorgeous. the biggest thing i have ever seen in my life and he was so colorful and handsome. mellow as heck, too. i think he maybe had a white head?? (cant remember all that well) and he had some dark and light gold, green...gosh i just cant quiite remember!

anywhoo, my boyfriend and i would really like one like him in the future, does any one have ANY clue what kind of breed that might be?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The color you're describing sounds like Golden Duckwing. However, there are no HUGE breeds with that color.

Some really big breeds include Brahmas, Jersey Giants, French Marans, and Cochins. All of those usually come in more standard colors though.

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    yeah, i suppose it was more like a light brahma. perhaps it was some kind of mix then? thanks for your help

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Did he have a beard or puffy cheeks?

I had a huge EE roo that looked like that.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That's the next thing I was thinking - EE cockerels are often white with golden hackles and saddle feathers and green sheening black feathers. But about half the Easter Egger population is HUGE.

My cockerel was 10 lbs. when I had him.

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    well i couldnt see his feet as he was laying on then, but he was not bearded and he had a HUGE comb.

he had colors kind of like the golden duckwing and the light brahma. im just going to troll cl for the rest of my life looking for his twin, lol

7. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    The biggest roosters i've seen were langshan's. They're huge, much bigger than anything else at a show.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Like this?

[​IMG]

This is a beardless duckwing Easter Egger with dominant white genes. He doesn't have a huge comb, but some can.

9. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    yeah, his coloring was alot like that but he has a single comb and i cannot stress enough that he was gigantic! thanks for the pic, that rooster is very handsome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by