Giant Silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Czech's_chicks, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    How many generations do you think it would take to get a giant silkie? I was driving on Van Buren Blvd in Woodcrest (Riverside, CA) and swear I saw the largest silkie roo in my life. That started me thinking....are there standard silkies? what could you breed them with to get it going?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    If I was going to try, I'd go with the hugest cochins I could get my hands on.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Someone was working on that...who was it?

4. Czech's_chicks

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    That is awesome!

I've always been a hobbyist. Chooks have been my solace and my place to get away from it all so I've never ventured into breeding or cross breeding...but I think I will try my hand at it.

All my birds are mutts with the eggception of my 1 cuckoo maran, 3 welsummers and 1 barred rock. they are all old, too, so I think I would want to start this with a newer pullet and a silkie roo. I got the 25 pullet deal through MPC, so I guess I will see what I got when they are all bigger...right now I know some are barred because the feathers are starting to lighten.

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm glad you brought this up as I wanted to see an update of the previous thread. I ressurected the old thread, and would sure like to see the progress. I still find it hard to believe they are actually 10 pounds though. [​IMG]

6. Czech's_chicks

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I think the practical side of me would want a larger hen because of more egg coverage...so I'd have to make sure broodiness would stay intact. I think the world of this breed.

7. eatmorechicken

eatmorechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    The standard silkies that I know of are in europe. To recreate them I would start with sq dorkings, houdans, or faverolles. those birds are pretty big! I would guess that you could get a true breeding line of giants in 4 years maybe sooner if you hatched and culled alot of birds..

8. GstringJimmy

GstringJimmy New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    I am about three generations into a project breeding the silkie gene into Jersey Giants and Malay jungle fowl. Silkie doesn't express until the second generation back-cross, so it takes some time -- but I currently have three birds expressing. They are larger than most bantams, but still not as big as a standard chicken. GIve me a couple more years though.... Why am I doing this? Because I can't raise backyard dinasaurs, and giant silkies would be the next best thing. :)

9. iguanasal

iguanasal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    USA
    Can u post pics of UR silkie feather mix birds I'd like to see the expression silkie feathers on the birds very cool I thought about having a bunch of hairy chickens in the yard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by