1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giant surprise!!!! We have baby chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hawtchick, Feb 22, 2012.

1. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi! I went out to collect eggs this morning and found a huge surprise!!! My bantam cochin hatched 4 eggs sometime yesterday. # babies made it, and now I don't know what to do. They had been in her nest box under her, but they need food and water and all we have in there is water and food that is high up, and I the babies couldn't get out of the nest box on their own, so I took them from her. They are in a bin with food, water and a light, but they are peeping like crazy so I feel bad for taking them away but it's still really cold here in NH for the most part, so I am at a loss with what to do with them.
    We have never had a hen hatch her own chicks before, so I could use some guidance please!!!

Thank you!
    Jess

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I would give them back to her at once! She can honestly take better care of them than any person could - she'll keep them warm, don't worry about that. I would move her and the chicks to the floor, and make sure they have access to both food and water (in which they can't drown) and leave her to do the rest.

3. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    yes...PLEASE give the chicks back to her!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They don't NEED to eat for the first 3 days, as they are still absorbing the yolk (which is why baby chicks can be sent through the mail). Give them back to mom and put the broody hen in the nest box closer to food and water or put the food and water closer to her.

The chicks will be just fine with their mom, no matter what the temperature!

And congrats on becoming a Grandparent! :D

5. hawtchick

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    what about her other eggs she is sitting on? what about the other birds in the coop???? I am worried they will hurt the chicks.

6. hawtchick

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I decided to make her a floor level nest box with a rubbermaid container. I moved her eggs and the chicks to it. The chicks quieted down immediately and she was happy to get them back under her. I feel much better about this!!! They are still in the coop and not separated, just a special place that the chicks can get food and water when they need it. Thanks for your help!!!!!
    Jess

7. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I highly doubt Momma will let the other birds hurt them. I would be more concerned about Momma hurting anyone who tries to mess with her babies, assuming she does take good care of them, which I'm sure she will.

Sounds great! :) I'm glad they are happy.

Can they get out of the container? I would make it to where they could.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  8. hawtchick

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yes they can. I laid it on it's side, so it was like a nest box with no front. She and the babies seem much happier!!!

9. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG]I wish one of mine would hatch me some babies. I have 12 at the moment, of course, hatched by me though. :) and 7 hatched by a friend.

Can you post a pic of Momma and babies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by