Giant tumor in MOUTH - Related to CRD?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenWisperer, Sep 22, 2011.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Okay. I'm fairly sure at some point, one of the birds brought in CRD. My vet said it was logical, that most of them should be fine. I'm actually expecting Coco, and EE, not to make it. She's always been the worst with it and her comb is dusky. I love her but I think the molt may be too much, even with Tylan.

But, I've never heard god-awful tumors in birds mouths' as a symptom of CRD. Yes, a giant tumor in the roof of her mouth.

Her name is Hope. She's a blue-red Cubalaya pullet from Ideal hatchery, going on 2 years old. Eats dumor layer pellets.

She's never displayed any symptoms of CRD before. Never been sick before. Her comb is red, she appears healthy until you get close to her. The tumor is large - I'm not sure how she's eating or drinking, but she hasn't seemed to have lost weight. Behavior is normal, talking, running, seeming to eat treats. The only thing is her balance appears to be off.

Hope is usually underfoot but she's so fast you can barely ever pick her up. When I saw her holding her mouth open a week ago, I thought nothing of it - I thought she was panting.

I feel like such an awful mother right now... I almost know where this is heading and I don't want to lose my baby Hope [​IMG]

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I don't have any guesses as to what is happening to your hen. I just wanted to say I'm sorry, and please don't feel like an awful mother. Chickens are good at hiding illness so signs of illness are easy to miss. Good luck to you - I hope you get an answer soon [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be canker, which is fungal, not bacterial like CRD. That is not a symptom of CRD, no. Could be something else entirely, not even canker. She could have gotten something stuck up in there and an infection set up. Pus solidifies in a chicken's body, like in bumblefoot infections.

4. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    If it's canker you can treat it with copper sulfate. 1/4tsp crystals per gallon. CS is a good anti-fungal but I don't know what the emergency/ drench dose is if it is different from normal. Maybe someone else can chime in. Pics would help.

5. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

My old EE hen Dolly got a big pink tumor in her mouth (no history of CRD). One vet said canker & gave me some pills (flagyl?) that did not work. Second vet actually examined bird's mouth & stuck the tumor with a needle (no fluid came out to test) & she determined it was a tumor, possibly cancerous. My poor Dolly had lost so much weight that I had to try and fatten her up so she'd have a better chance w/ surgical removal of the tumor (yes, I am THAT crazy). I was leaving the country for over a week, so I gave her to my sister who can fatten up anything. My sister put Dolly on a rich mushy diet (tumor was on side of her mouth & interfered with eating), but one morning came to check on her & Dolly had died in her sleep. I had another hen years later who got a tumor (on the neck) and died the same day I made the vet appointment. No history of CRD with her either. My favorite 7-year old Delaware hen developed a fatty benign tumor on her butt this year.

I think that sometimes with chickens, as with people, they just get the occasional tumor. Sometimes it's benign, sometimes it's cancerous. Mouth tumors can be nasty if they interfere with eating and drinking. I am hoping your poor girl has canker, a bacterial infection, or something that won't interfere with her eating and drinking too much. [​IMG] I wish you and your poor chicky well.

6. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I can't get a picture tonight, but I will ASAP tomorrow. We are also going to see if it opens to see if it's puss... poor baby girl. I went down and tucked her in tonight after they freeranged today. She seems fine...

Upon closer inspection, one side of the "tumor" is bloody/scabby. What that means, I'm not sure. Her eyes are a bit bubbly. Don't know if that's from the pressure or what. The "tumor" is hard, solid.

Quote:How do I tell if it's canker? Treat with the recommended dosage and if it works it was? (thanks mitchell!) I remember taking care of Eva's bumblefoot and it reminded me of it.

Thanks for all of your kind words...

7. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Well, went to the vets office today. Dr.Wells did confirm, it was a tumor. We went ahead and put her down. I went back and held her as she passed - she went really easy, only called out once and kicked her legs just a little.

It was much better than her starving to death or suffocating. Still tore me up [​IMG]

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I am sorry.

9. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    That is really sad. You were such a good chicken mama.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Oh, I'm so sorry! Poor little hen. You did all you could for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by