Giant White Leghorn

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BayCityChick, Mar 2, 2014.

1. BayCityChick

BayCityChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    Bay City, Oregon, USA
    We have had our chicks for just about two and half weeks now. One of them, our white leghorn, is about double in size from the rest. Is this normal? It is our first flock, so I'm not too sure what to expect, but the size difference is astounding! She's the one in the front of this picture.
    [​IMG]
    Here is another photo, just for fun. They are the cutest things!
    [​IMG]

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    Maybe the others are bantams? Leghorns aren't usually very big. Are you sure that's what it is?

3. BayCityChick

Feb 13, 2014
    Bay City, Oregon, USA
    That's what we were told. I have one Bantam, a silky. The rest are normal chicks. One of them is a Brahma! I'm beginning to think that she may be a turkey. Lol!!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I'd wonder about about it being a cornish X, where did they come from?

5. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks more like a Cornish x to me but i could be wrong.... do its legs seem really thick?

6. BayCityChick

Feb 13, 2014
    Bay City, Oregon, USA
    It's legs are wicked thick, and it's feet are wicked huge. It came from Dunlap, I think. We picked it up at our local farmers co-op. Maybe it was mislabeled? They did have Cornish X in the bin next to that one.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm not seeing anything big enough to be a CX at this age--isn't 2.5 weeks about when they butcher for cornish game hens? around 2lbs or so? I'm not seeing anything that big here. Can you get better pictures, perhaps next to a standard chick for scale? It may just be a white Rock, they're larger birds.

8. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    I have a mixed batch including leghorns, orphingtons, red stars, austrolops, wyandottes, and Easter eggers. The leghorns definitely got bigger way faster than the others. But the Easter eggers were a not so distant second. My babies are 4 weeks old today and things are starting to even out.

9. BayCityChick

Feb 13, 2014
    Bay City, Oregon, USA
    I know that it is through the top grate, but they were laying so perfectly and it was a good shot. The lighter chick is what I was told is a white leghorn, and the darker chick is a barred rock. They are just inder 3 weeks old.

[​IMG]

10. annav410

annav410 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Broomfield, Colorado
    That really looks like a Cornish X and not a Leghorn. I hope I am wrong but I have an Austra White (half Leghorn) and she was always pretty leggy but overall a smaller bird then her brooder buddies.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by