1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giardiasis treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoDogFarm, Mar 3, 2015.

1. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's possible the giardia protozoa was introduced into the environment by wild birds. Chickens constantly peck the soil and pick up all kinds of nasty parasites, especially if the soil is wet or damp. It is normally transmitted through feces contaminated water. Giardia cant be completely be eliminated from soil. Keeping everything as dry as possible, removing poultry feces,ensuring fresh water is available at all times, and keeping feeders free of feces will help deter the protozoa. Putting sand in pens/runs helps alot as well.

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    If the vet does prescribe the pills, it shouldn't be more than $1/pill, which was the price of the 250 mg generic metronidazole at a Walgreens pharmacy last time I checked.

-Kathy

3. tarahharlin

tarahharlin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Good to know. Thanks Kathy!

4. tarahharlin

Dec 29, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Makes sense. Their run is covered, so it does stay dry in there most of the time, but it is just the bare ground and and some straw. I think I will look into putting sand in there, especially after this. Thanks for the info!

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

Be prepared... Call a pharmacy and get pricing. If your vet quotes too high a price for the pill, ask them to call it into your pharmacy. If they insist on trying to sell you the expensive liquid metronidazole, ask if you can use pill of parts of pills instead. If they still insist on the liquid due to dosage requirements of your bird, ask them to call in a prescription to the Road Runner compounding pharmacy in Arizona. Last time I got a bottle there it was $40 for 240 ml of 50mg/ml and overnight shipping was free on new prescriptions.

-Kathy

6. tarahharlin

Dec 29, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
    This is such good information to have. Thank you so much! I will call my pharmacy right now to get pricing and then at least I'll have an idea when I go into the vet. Do you know if it's metronidazole that they usually prescribe for this? Have you ever had to treat your birds for this?

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    This is some of the info I have:

Dosing info:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In dogs I think that sometimes they use metronidazole and Safeguard or Panacur ( both are 10% fenbendazole - 100mg/ml). You can get a 125ml bottle of Safeguard at Tractor for about $25, so don't buy any from the vet unless they can beat that price.

-Kathy

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Quote:

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    http://www.pigeonracingpigeon.com/menu/pigeon-medical-formulary/
    ame: Metronidazole (Flagyl)
    Description: Metronidazole is in the 5-nitro-imidazole family of compounds and has been shown to have significant antiprotozoal activity. Usage: Trichomoniasis. Adverse reactions: Over dosage can result in central nervous system signs and death. Dosage: 50 – 100 mg/bird daily for 4 – 6 days. Comments: Not commonly used due to poor solubility in water for flock treatment.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by