1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gibbled foot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by porksill, Sep 22, 2011.

1. porksill

porksill New Egg

Sep 16, 2011
    I have two chicks that I hatched out of the incubator. One is perfect, but unfortunately I had to go away over night and the lady looking after my eggs forgot to put water in the incubator. When I got home, the second chick was trying to hatch, but was stuck in it's shell because there was no humidity! I was so sad, but I slowly peeled off his shell, with a little warm water, and he is now doing great - except for his feet. They were both curled under, and he had a lot of trouble walking, but by the end of day two, his left food straightened out!. Now it is day four and his right foot still curls under - is there anything I can or should do to try to straighten his toes?

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I believe there is a method here on the forum of using tap and thin strips of cardboard to make "boots" for the chick to help straighten out toes. The quicker you do it, the better!

3. porksill

porksill New Egg

Sep 16, 2011
    I see the cute pictures of the little chick with the booties, but where on the website will I find the directions on how to do this? Do I use surgical tape? I would hate to do it wrong!

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

5. porksill

porksill New Egg

Sep 16, 2011
    Thanks Tiny Chicken Lady - I have used a small peice of cardboard and some hockey tape. Hope that works! All I can do now is wait:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by