Giblet gravy - miss prissy, or anyone.

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by yotetrapper, Nov 21, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I know WHAT it is, and I know what giblets are, but who has a good recipe for it? My hubby always wants it for thanksgiving, but all of my attempts at it have only turned out so-so. I need help!

Thanks
    Angela

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I use the pan drippings frommy turkey as the base. If you need more use chicken broth to add to it.

I chop in tiny pieces of the liver, gizzard and bits of meat from the neck. I don't use them all. Some go into my dressing and I hold a little out for my gravy. The idea is for the bits and pieces to suspend in the gravy not clog it up. I also use a little boiled egg.

I drain the pan drippings and let the fats seperate out.

I take the broth and put it in a small pot and bring it up to a slow bowl.

I take a few of the vegetables that cooked in the bottom of the pan and puree those and add them to the stock. I add the giblets an d bits of onion and garlic that came out of pot from cooking them. Bring it to a boil and if needed thicken it with a slurry of cornstarch.

If your vegetables are mushy and caramelized from roasting you may be able to thicken your gravy just by using them. If you can't use the slurry too.

It only takes a min or two to thicken with the slurry. The liquid has to come to a boil for the cornstarch to thicken it.

Move it off the heat quick so it doesn't scorch.

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    just a tip, if you put the cornstarch in a small jar with a lid with a little cold water and shake it good it will get the lumps out before you add it to the broth.

4. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    I was watching the Food Network yesterday and they said to use Heinz jarred pork gravy as the base for your Thanksgiving turkey gravy. Just use the broth from yur turkey to thin down the jarred gravy and it makes great turkey gravy...????
    I am NOT going to try this for my Thanksgiving dinner but I might have to try it sometime with chicken or something just to see how it works. Also if there is anyone out there who is "gravy challenged" like I was up until I was about 30 it might be better than all jarred or NO gravy....heaven forbid! lol

Jackie

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Jackie, Heinz turkey gravy is good. Don't know about pork gravy.

When I have left over turkey in the freezer I thaw it and pour of jar of turkey gravy over it and pop it in the oven. It comes out bubbly and hot and the turkey is really good and doesn't taste leftover. With mashed poatoes and a green side dish my kids don't make a connection with turkey and Thanksgiving leftovers. LOL

6. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:I thought it was kind of funny that they suggested the PORK gravy for a base but hey, what do I know? lol
    I've used the Heinz in jars on occasion, especially the AuJous (sp?) and it really isn't bad at all.
    Luckily my DH loves to make gravy and is good at it. [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My DH doesn't cook well. At all. [​IMG]

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    With our giblet gravy, we take the turkey neck and boil it with diced giblets. I cook the broth down pretty good, and remove the neck. Then, I add some of the raw dressing and diced boiled egg. The dressing helps thicken it up. If it needs to be any thicker, we make a small roux out of grease and flour, then add it in.

We always have to make 2 batches. One real and one fake, because my DH hates giblets. [​IMG]

Shelly

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Hmmm thickening gravy with veggies or dressing is something I'd of never thought of. I ususally dont make dressing as no one here likes it. Maybe I'll stuff my turkey with veggies this year as you do MissPrissy. I can make a turkey gravy that I like, is rather similar in flavor and texture to Heinz. I always have Heinz on backup for if I mess up gravy lol, but I'm not too bad at it, I just didnt know if the giblet gravy was supposed to be altogether different than regular gravy, or if its just regular gravy with giblets added?

Here's another question I should ask on the turkey thread, but since I'm here... you mentioned brining your turkey missprissy, by brine you just mean salt water, right? How much salt to how much water? And what is the purpose of brining it? Does it help brining a storebought turkey, or is it just for homegrown ones. Also, does the turkey need to be thawed out first?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by