Giblet Gravy

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Carolyn, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    We always have giblet gravey which usually goes over cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving. My father said it was the best part of Thanksgiving; I have a granddaughter who was tiny when he died so she must have inherited his love for it because she didn't learn it from him. I just noticed on cooking channel shows that they usually don't put giblets in gravey. So here is a recipe for those who want to try it.

Giblet Gravy

I cook the neck and giblets (heart, gizzard and liver) in salted water until done.
    (I discard or find another use for the neck)

Chop giblets and 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs into small pieces

In a sauce pan melt butter and stir in an equal amount of flour until smooth to make a rue. (Amounts varies depending on how many servings you want; I use 2-3 tablespoon for 6-8 people). Add chicken or turkey broth (you can use the broth from cooking the giblets as part of the liquid. about 3 cups total liquid) Stir until smooth and add giblet/egg mixture, evap milk or cream, salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook to thin gravey like consistency. Keep it hot and stir before serving. If it is too thick, add more broth. If it is too thin you can mix cornstarch with cold water and add to thicken it a bit more.) Best served over cornbread dressing.

2. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    sounds good, we make ours similar. Never added eggs before and we add celery stalks, carrots and onion chunks in with the neck and giblets. After simmering for a few hours we discard the vegies chop up the giblets and remove the meat from the neck, mix that back in the pot and use corn starch to thicken. The cream sounds like a nice added touch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by