1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giblets. Other uses besides gravy?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 1acrefarm, Jul 19, 2008.

1. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I do not make alot of giblet gravy but I do wind up with a fair amount of giblets. I was wondering what would be good to use them for besides gravy. I am cooking a turkey today to make freezer room and don't want to waste the giblets or store them. Would the Giblets and drippings be good to season dried peas?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    put them in stuffing. omelets, would make the peas very yummy!!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I may be a redneck...but...I just LOVE fried chicken Giblets!! yum yum!! Fry them just like you do chicken.....Ohhh, yum!

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I fry up the gizzards, Yummy! the heart and liver gets ground up and we use it for shrimp bait. All the other internal organs go next door to our neighbors sled dogs.

5. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Experiment with them. There is very little that has to be thrown away or made into gravy if you're willing to ignore what they are and eat them.

Fried "Rocky Mountain Oysters" are easy to make if you are butchering toms and roosters (you can guess what these are [​IMG]. There are also some Taiwanese recipes if you're not into frying.

The Taiwanese also have a recipe for cooking the intestines that we're going to try out. Before flipping out, remember that hotdogs and sausage are typically overstuffed intestines. The recipes I have are for using them a little more like noodles.

Gizzards and livers we freeze until we have enough to fry up as a snack. I prefer fried gizzards and others in the household like the livers. It's a win-win situation. Hearts can also be fried.

Any innards we have left over becomes bait and crayfish food for our latest crazy experiment in branching out what we raise to eat.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time we used the innards to make gravy. Usually all the juice from the bird and its neck is more than enough to simmer down into a great gravy and/or stock.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    If we are getting to many we save them and add them to the chicken or duck or turkey sausage when we make it.

8. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    dog food?

9. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    boil them with celery and carrot, salt and pepper and then dredge in flour and fry them up --make a country gravy to smother them in and serve with hot grits and biscuits!! um--um um--that's good eatin....

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Make soup and eat them with a dash of salt!!! MMMM!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by