Gift Ideas for "Chicken Girl"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LesGan, Sep 28, 2010.

1. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    I had a magical summer with my 10 year old granddaughter. She was gathering eggs with me in June when she discovered a nest with fine downy feathers strewn around. That began our summer of observing broody hen and then the hatching of 6 chickies. We were together hours each day watching, waiting, being present for the hatching, assisting mom with temporary housing and then temporary fencing to get them outside. School has started and time is limited but she still manages to go with me a few times each week to lock up the chickens at night. It has been a most special time and she turns 11 this week. I would like to give her something that will be reminiscent of our time and adventure together. I am on a budget but would like to give her something that can go with her as she grows up. Any ideas from you wonderful chicken folks out there?? Many thanks for your ideas and for your forum support through all of our chicken times.

2. Pocketful Of Poultry
    or
    Storys Illustrated Guide To Poultry Breeds

Are great books! She'll be able to see more about different breeds as well as pictures [​IMG] (the second one has a lot more detail and information but the first one is small and cute [​IMG] )

Let us know what you get!

Matthew

3. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    did you have any pictures of the two of you? or the chickens, eggs etc? I'm thinking out loud, but maybe a little scrap book sort of idea,
    put in some pics, some feathers... how about a little chicken charm bracelet.... blow out some eggs and decorate with the hatching date and
    put into a little egg basket.... six hatchlings? maybe something little from each of the chicks. did the two of you name the chicks?
    I'll keep thinking. I'm sure our creative byc people will come up with some terrific ideas!!

what a wonderful summer you've had!

4. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    Thank you both so much for your ideas. I shall use the book idea with a nice inscription for birthday since time is short this week. She loves to look at chicken pictures in my poultry magazines so it is a great idea. I also thought to get her her own pair of "chicken pooh shoes" (garden clogs) to leave at the shed. I love the scrap book idea and will start working on that for Christmas. Thanks guys and gals.....you are all the best.

5. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    You know something else? I would journal your time with her in the evenings, just write down what you did that day with her etc... One day when she is much older you can give it to her and she will see just how much you love her...something for her to read and hold onto..I would have loved that from my grandpa ( we use to garden together) and I miss him terribly, would have loved something like that :eek:)

6. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    maybe right now for her birthday, you can take pics of the chics and tell her these are now yours, I will keep them here for you but they will belong to you. Maybe if you get the book as suggested you could write an inscription on the inside about how special your moments with her have been ....you know my kids are still young 15 and 8 but I cant wait to fast forward to Grandma hood in about 15 yrs [​IMG]

7. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    AN INCUBATOR !!! Definitely an incubator! And fill it with fertile eggs.....yeah, that's the ticket!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    clogs and a chicken picture book sound awesome:) need another granddaughter?

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    pontoosuc you took the thought right out of my head! I think adding the "Memories" book is great too. I think you would both cherish them and working on them together!

10. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:X2 and a card with a gift card to Home Depot or Lowes for building supplies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by