gifted mystery eggs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by naightengale, Sep 11, 2013.

1. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    ok so my husbands aunt gave us a doz eggs from her chickens to hatch.. (no i didnt see the hens but were told they were RIR)
    the eggs were a manella color. and the chicks that have hatched are all golden yellow...
    RIR?? or what breeds lay manella eggs and have golden chicks??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]here is a chick you can see a few more in the back too. the chipmunk ones are my barnyard mixes.

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    No way to tell at this young age, but I would suspect that the chicks are mixed breeds AKA Barnyard Specials.

In any case, though--why don't you ask the person who gave you the eggs what breeds they are? Your husband's aunt knows far better than we.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They were told they are RIR (re-read the first post), and those look like RIR chicks.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They could possibly be faded eggs from an older laying hen who needs to molt, that's why they're lighter. I agree the chicks look like some type of red variety.

5. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    thanks yall i was just wondering cause all the RIR chicks ive seen are alot darker... and im kinda hoping that the lightness is effecting the whole dark stripe is female thing because im not seeing any thing but yellow heads. (also saw a thing where day old RIR roos are suppost to have a white spot on the wing and these are just yellow).......would be a major bummer to have a tank full of roosters as we already have too many roosters we need to rehome or stew pot now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by