gifted mystery eggs

naightengale

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Rocky Mount VA.
My Coop
My Coop
ok so my husbands aunt gave us a doz eggs from her chickens to hatch.. (no i didnt see the hens but were told they were RIR)
the eggs were a manella color. and the chicks that have hatched are all golden yellow...
RIR?? or what breeds lay manella eggs and have golden chicks??

here is a chick you can see a few more in the back too. the chipmunk ones are my barnyard mixes.

No way to tell at this young age, but I would suspect that the chicks are mixed breeds AKA Barnyard Specials.

In any case, though--why don't you ask the person who gave you the eggs what breeds they are? Your husband's aunt knows far better than we.

They could possibly be faded eggs from an older laying hen who needs to molt, that's why they're lighter. I agree the chicks look like some type of red variety.

thanks yall i was just wondering cause all the RIR chicks ive seen are alot darker... and im kinda hoping that the lightness is effecting the whole dark stripe is female thing because im not seeing any thing but yellow heads. (also saw a thing where day old RIR roos are suppost to have a white spot on the wing and these are just yellow).......would be a major bummer to have a tank full of roosters as we already have too many roosters we need to rehome or stew pot now.

Back
Top Bottom