Gifts for broodies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Jun 19, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    This is probably not news to those of you who have regular broodies, but this year is the first time I've had any that have sat for long. I have one in the pen sitting on a nest of eight and one who saved up her eggs for over a week and then disappeared. I thought she was gone forever until she came back one night to eat and then went back to her nest. It took me two weeks to find her nest and I don't have the heart to move her now.

ANYWAY--I've discovered that as much as they appreciate fresh water and food during their once-daily rest break, there's a gift they love even more:

Fresh straw or hay for the nest.

The first time was an accident--I was putting down fresh bedding in the pen and the broody hen began reaching out and pulling the fresh hay into her nest and tucking it under her. So I put a small flake near her and when I came out later, she had moved the entire flake of hay into her nest and was sitting about two inches higher and partially buried. Very funny! So just now I put a flake of hay near the broody on our patio (yes, she was on our patio and it took me two weeks to find her--that's how well hidden she is, under a bunch of brush) and when I looked out the window later, she was busily moving it all into her nest.

Finally, a way to spoil my broodies!! lol

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My hens LOVE fresh hay! Ill have to pull up some pictures of my broodies who litterally bury themselves in hay. It just looks like a giant mount of hay and then you poke it and it quacks!

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have to agree with you iamcuriositycat Theres not much you can offer them while sitting- but fresh bedding is great. It also gives them something to do for a little while- all that sitting must be incredibly boring.
    I completely cleaned out my night pens yesterday- removed ALL shavings and hay on the pen and in the nesting boxes. This morning when I went to let them out I found one particular girl almost completely hidden by hay in the nesting box. Im starting to wonder if this one is actually starting to go broody! Anyway- she had taken advantage of all the fresh bedding and straw and pulled it all into the nesting box. 8 inches of hay was carefully arranged around her - all I could see was her head and neck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by