Gifts of the Golden Eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chazwork, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Chazwork

Chazwork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Haven been on here in a while, thought I would give you all an update. First, how long am I a new member and how do I change my status? We've had our chickens now for about 6 months and we love them. Started getting eggs on thanksgiving day. By Christmas we were getting enough eggs to give them to friends and family as gifts. We gave out 4 dozen eggs and as a joke I took the cost of our coupe and averaged that with the 6 dozen eggs we had gotten so far which made their dozen worth about 200$. We had more fun with our chickens and their eggs. Many gifts this year were chicken related. Chicken soap, soap eggs, roster covered rubber boots.egg baskets. We even got 125 egg cartons from my sister.

The one surprise we got was a rooster! we thought we bought all hens from a place that sexed their chickens. As it turns out Gracie is actually Grayson. Our little silkie thinks he is the cock of the walk. Although we did not want a rooster, we do love the cock a doodle do. Can you have a rooster fixed? Just kidding!

Thats all for now, will be changing my status when I figure out how.

Love My Chickens

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Welcome back, Chazwork! Glad you are visiting BYC again! I know what you mean about economics and chickens. I get around it by not thinking about it! Good luck to you!

3. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    We had the same thing happen to us we bought 6 chicks thought they were hens one passed 3 days later there was something not right with the little thing it walked in circles and pecked the ground between and behind it's legs, spoon fed it the whole time 4 crowed and were huge birds so we took them back to the feed store and picked up 2 chicks (hens [​IMG]). We kept the smallest of the original 6 (it was a third smaller than the other 4) thinking it was a hen well needless to say it cock a doodle dooed a week later.

My husband looks at the cost in this manner..the girls keep the bug/spider population down (exterminators) they mow the back yard (free gardening) they have turned over the mulch and trenched around the trees for him and they provide him with fertilizer not to mention we always have 18 eggs in the fridge, and they also keep us entertained. I guess there is a barter system going on we provide room and board for their labor.

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello from Ohio.....glad you are back. I would not take a million for my roosters. I love them

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] You will have to post more before you get upgraded [​IMG] Here's more on the titles and how they change:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-what-are-they-and-how-when-are-they-changed

You can also purchase a Golden Feather or Platinum poultry membership. The site actually has a special offer on those now:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737177/gfm-ppm-free-byc-2013-calendar-offer

Oh and you can actually have a rooster "fixed", they are called capons after being castrated. They're usually not quite the same after....

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I think my cost per egg is around $20 or so [​IMG]

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!! Glad you joined. [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Is your rooster broken? [​IMG]

9. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    [​IMG] from Idaho!

10. chickenlily13

chickenlily13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Vermont
    Keeping track of expenses from start to finish , there will be a golden egg somewhere I hope! If you count your time also then forget about it , those eggs better taste good! ha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by