GIGANTIC egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3cutechicks, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 3cutechicks

3cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    A couple weeks ago I had a tiny little egg from one chicken. Today I got a huge egg from Cinderella, her half sister who is an Americauna. I weighed one her other eggs and it weighed 1.5 oz. The huge egg weighs 2.5 oz. It had to hurt. Did I do something wrong or was she backed up waiting for her step sister to get out of the nesting box?[​IMG]

2. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

You didn't do anything wrong and she is not backed up--she's just laying you a nice big egg--my Ameraucana's lay the biggest eggs of all the hens in my flock. Just Enjoy!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    Some chickens just lay a huge egg every now and then.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

GAAAWWWWW LEE!

5. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    My ameracauna's lay very large eggs too and I've even had a few double yolkers from them. Was your egg a double? One of mine started off with small eggs then went to doubles for maybe four or five eggs then just started laying BIG eggs. Some of them are so big they won't let the lid on an egg carton close. Really great birds though!

6. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Yeah, they all lay like that from time to time. Enjoy your eggs.

7. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    My leghorns lay the hugest eggs. Some have been double yolkers & they're not the biggest chickens in the flock. I also have some huge orpingtons who lay a smaller egg than that. I don't know how those leghorns get those things out. Ouch! They look like they would hurt. I bet they're very relieved when it's over.

[​IMG]

8. 3cutechicks

3cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    I don't know if there is a double or not. I don't want to crack it because I love to show the people that come over. The carton cant close at all. it is twice the size.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by