Gigantic egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunGardenChickens, Sep 15, 2011.

1. SunGardenChickens

SunGardenChickens New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    The weirdest thing. My chicken (a new layer) laid the most gigantic egg I have ever seen. When I cracked it open this morning, there was a second egg (fully formed) inside of it. Has anyone ever seen anything like that before? What does it mean? I couldn't bring myself to eat it, it just didn't seem natural. Would it have been safe to eat the egg, or should I say, eggs.

2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    If you search these boards you will find it is very common in new layers to lay some strange eggs. Eggs inside eggs happen. I dont know if I would have eaten it either but I think it would not have been a safety issue at all. Other I think have eaten these eggs.

3. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Oh and WELCOME! [​IMG]

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

If you search older posts you'll see many people have had the same thing happen and it's normal, but still weird, neat, and cool.

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

dbounds10 beat me [​IMG]

6. SunGardenChickens

SunGardenChickens New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks for your replies. Here is what I found on poultryhelp.com
    EGG WITHIN AN EGG:
    An egg within an egg, or a double shelled egg appears when an egg that is nearly ready to be laid reverses direction and gets a new layer of albumen covered by a second shell. Sometimes the reversed egg joins up with the next egg and the two are encased together within a new shell.

7. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Sounds like you got a double yolker. It is weird but normal. What happened is the next egg that was developing was pushed through and got caught in the first egg that was still getting the shell. So that is how you got two eggs in one. Its kinda like twins:D

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by