Gigantic liver (graphic pic warning)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grace11, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM.

1. Grace11

Grace11 Songster

May 5, 2011
    thumbnail.jpg
    I have a bunch of new gals to refurbish my flock of mostly old ladies. I got an assortment of BOs, green egg layers, Ameracaunas, and silver laced Wyandottes. About 20 in all. For the most part they all lived and are thriving, all are close to 6+- months, none have started laying, but are reddening up and close to lay. Yesterday morn, 1 of the SLWs was in a corner, panting, eyes semi closed, tail was not down. I scooped her up & took her in the the house to the "hospital". Checked on her a couple times during the day & she had mash & water available. By evening, she had drank a little water, ate nothing and was very near death. She had laid herself down, still panting and had laid her head down on the floor. I helped her out of this world then. This morning i did a post mortum on her and this is what I found.
    WOW! That liver nearly covered my hand, & I have large hands. Her heart is in the upper top-not enlarged at all. No wonder she was having breathing trouble, there was no room in her at all. She was very skinny, the gullet down to her gizzard was quite enlarged also and full of some of whatever she last tried to eat. Gizzard seemed normal size. The Liver almost filled the entire cavity, the smallest lobe was curved under some of the tissuey stuff in there because there was no room left in there.
    I havent a clue what might have caused something like this.

ValerieJ and EggSighted4Life like this.
  2. Grace11

Grace11 Songster

May 5, 2011
    Does anyone know what caused this?

ValerieJ likes this.
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Wow, you rock... not letting a hen suffer AND doing your own necropsy. :highfive:

Sorry for your loss. :(

Most likely genetically predisposed... *possibly* influenced by diet if thing like meal worms, BOSS, or scratch were fed in excess instead of or in addition to a formulated ration. But yours doesn't look exactly like fatty liver I am describing.

Seen fairly often in Orpington, but not surprising to see in Wyandotte as they can be hefty birds.

Maybe it was a lymphoid leukosis type thing, though I don't see any tumors. I also wonder about s. Pullorum. But please don't jump to these conclusions. Your post has prompted a research bug for me, but I am still learning!

@Eggcessive do you have anything to share here? TIA

4. Grace11

Grace11 Songster

May 5, 2011
    Thank you. Im puzzled as to why there seemed to be nothing else wrong with her. that liver was the normal color and consistancy, not fatty or spots or anything. ill just chalk it up to Mystery. I love chicken liver, but im NOT tempted to eat it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: