giganto egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kareninthesun, Dec 20, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    What causes a hen to lay giant eggs? It's one of my EE's and her's are much bigger than the jumbo sized. Each one has double yokes. I'm not sure which girl is laying them, but right now I get 2 a week for the last two weeks. Is this a genetic thing? Should I be looking for signs of complications? They all seem healthy and fine.

2. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Might not be the same thing, but are any of your girls molting? My BR always laid big eggs, but ever since she started molting, her egg laying has slowed to every other day or so, but the size of her eggs have increased dramatically. Almost as if she saves up that egg making stuff and uses it only a few times per week. They haven't been double yolks, but giant!

3. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Hi Jeff, I don't think that any of them are molting. They were hatched out late June of this year, I don't see a bunch of feathers around, and the weather has been pretty good (San Diego, CA) except for the time change. And I've addressed that by adding supplimental light until 8PM, but they still head off to bed around 4:45 PM. I do monitor what they eat, they have an unlimited supply of laying crumbles, giving them mixed grains and homemade plain yogurt and veggies/fruits. I know that there are various opinions on using light, but does this tie in with the molting process? Is it neccessary to the health and welfare of the hens, or does it depend on region/breeds? I know studies have been done on humans and light, and how if they are having physical/emotional/mental issues during winter, by adding simulated natural light, this counters and balances their systems. I know that for me, I NEED light. Come to think of it, everybody whom I know is a natural morning person is the same way.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by