Gil’s world!- proper duck diet

Kkrista123

Crowing
Dec 2, 2018
Hatboro PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys!! You already know I am always worried about Gil even when there’s no reason to be. I am so excited because the bedroom is getting re done right now and we are doing away with the carpets and opting for vinyl hard wood. That way no more carpet for mold or bug worries ever and vinyl can get wet (lots of fish tanks) along with it can be cleaned of duck poo a lot nicer. This is also when Gil gets her ducky mansion that I’ve been so excited for!!

Anyways, since she is 21 weeks old, I just want reassurance her diet is meeting her nutritionary needs. She is an indoor duck so nutritional needs are slightly higher.

Now that she’s 21 weeks we are almost completly switched over to layer feed. She also gets oyster shell and grit once a day. I don’t think she eats both, that’s why I always offer both. She also gets treats daily which are usually meal worms or greens. I always make sure she has feed available. Usually the once a day serving of grit and oyster shell mixed into the feed will be picked on throughout the day as I add more feed. She also gets cracked corn mixed into her grit and oyster shell feed. I don’t think she eats the corn at all though.
Am I missing anything in her diet? Anything I could be doing better for her diet? Thanks everyone!

Idk, do you have some outdoor space nearby? Even if it is a public park you could take Gil for a walk so that she can try some fresh grass(hoppers) when spring arrives. i'd be careful with the layer food if she doesn't lays eggs. An excess of calcium has to be excreted through the kidneys, not good…
I would go with meatbird crumbles as a basic food, then add treats as you like. - That's what my Duckies get, of course they can still run around outside and eat whatever they might find.

Idk, do you have some outdoor space nearby? Even if it is a public park you could take Gil for a walk so that she can try some fresh grass(hoppers) when spring arrives. i'd be careful with the layer food if she doesn't lays eggs. An excess of calcium has to be excreted through the kidneys, not good…
I would go with meatbird crumbles as a basic food, then add treats as you like. - That's what my Duckies get, of course they can still run around outside and eat whatever they might find.
Yes, lots of outdoor space around!! Even a creek in my backyard!!!! I will certainly have her outside a lot more once it warms up. She won’t go out in the cold or in dirty/cold water.... spoiled... :/ (including the creek. It takes both her human parents going in for her to go in the creek... even with the wild ducks in the creek watching her :gig

Awesome info on the layer feed though. From what I had read I thought she was supposed to be on it from 18 weeks and I was worried I was a couple of weeks late with it!!

Thanks for the help!

Yes, lots of outdoor space around!! Even a creek in my backyard!!!! I will certainly have her outside a lot more once it warms up. She won’t go out in the cold or in dirty/cold water.... spoiled... :/ (including the creek. It takes both her human parents going in for her to go in the creek... even with the wild ducks in the creek watching her :gig
Awesome info on the layer feed though. From what I had read I thought she was supposed to be on it from 18 weeks and I was worried I was a couple of weeks late with it!!
Thanks for the help!
Imho, layer feed is meant to feed a full house of egg laying birds, never allowed to step outside.
If your birds are able to run around on grass or soil just a bit, in most cases they won't need any additional calcium supply or grit. OK, if you live in a sand-desert its different! - My Duckies prefer the muddy water from the drainage ditch over the fresh, clean and warm water i provide them and we have heavy loam soil, lots of calcium in there, lot's of grit in all sizes.
My Duckies have a small feeder with Oyster-shell in their house but they only play with that: Pick up a piece of shell, walk to the water bowl, drop it and watch how it sinks to the ground, repeat until your head spins…

I usually feed chick starter or broiler but over winter the feed company doesn’t make it . I mix 50/50 layer and either of the other two, my Runners will get thin shelled eggs and some times lay a soft shell even tho they forage on a little over a half acre and have oyster shell on the side and I see them eating it. Never heard the layer for birds that are penned up and can’t forage not saying it isn’t true just never heard that before. If I had my choice I’d rather not feed layer but I do know it helps my girls.

Last edited:
I usually feed chick starter or broiler but over winter the feed company doesn’t make it . I mix 50/50 layer and either of the other two, my Runners will get thin shelled eggs and some times lay a soft shell even tho they forage on a little over a half acre and have oyster shell on the side and I see them eating it. Never heard the layer for birds that are penned up and can’t forage not saying it isn’t true just never heard that before. If I had my choice I’d rather not feed layer but I do know it helps my girls.
Exactly! - If you experience things like soft-eggs or thin shells, feeding layer crumbles is a good idea. Maybe there's not much calcium in your soil?

Back
Top Bottom