1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gilded feathers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Freeholder, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Some years back I had bought a huge batch of assorted chicks (like 250!). In the batch were some black birds who ended up with what looked like gilded feathers (not yellow -- looked like they'd been touched up with metallic gold paint) especially around their necks. It was very pretty, and at the time I couldn't find out what they were. Does anyone know? They were about the same size and build as the other dual-purpose birds in that batch.

Kathleen

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I'm bumping this thread, because I, too, would like to know... They sound pretty [​IMG]

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Sound like black sex-links:

[​IMG]

There are many different variations in color for black sex-links, some have lots of gold, some have little or no gold. The photo I posted is one of my favorites.

4. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    No, I don't mean color like that, Rodriguez, they looked like some of their feathers had been touched up with metallic gold -- it glittered in the light. It wasn't the yellowish-brown that we call gold color. I do suspect that they might have been some kind of black sex-link, but would sure like to know how to get that gold feathering!

Kathleen

5. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Nobody knows what I'm talking about? I wouldn't mind finding some of those chickens if I could just find out what they were!

Kathleen

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

You mean the same metallic sheen that is often green showing in blacks ??? Except in gold?

Just trying to get a mental picture of what you are trying to describe.

7. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    It almost looked like gold leaf on the edges of some of the neck feathers. It practically glittered -- I remember picking a couple of them up and looking closely at it, wondering how on earth that happened! (Did they eat gold out of the creek or something, LOL!?!) They did have some green and purple sheen on their black feathers, too, but the gold edging on some of them was amazing.

Kathleen

I don't remember who we got them from -- it was an auction on egg-bid (I think?).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  8. fairladi_chick

fairladi_chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    gray court,sc
    post pics, post pics!![​IMG]

9. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I don't know what its called, but I have an EE who has feathers like what you're describing, except that she's brown instead of black. I got her from My Pet Chicken, who get their birds from Meyer Hatchery.

10. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Quote:I wish I could! I left them in NH with my ex when we separated, and the last one died about two or three years ago so I can't even ask him to get a picture for me. I didn't have a digital camera at the time and honestly never thought of trying to take a picture of them.

Kathleen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by