Gil's World - Post Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kkrista123, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    Hello wonderful human beings, I hope everyone is adjusting to the seasons easily!

The title of the thread......... If you follow Gil's World, you're probably aware of her duckling friends that we're stolen off my property. I guess this is my attempt at some comic relief. So yeah, no ducklings or information ever showed up. We're moving forward and as far as Gil's concerned, she just survived the apocalypse!

Back to happy information! Gil is doing wonderful! Although the weather is getting colder and we all know she does NOT like any cold! She's seriously refusing to go outside but we have been in the 40's so I don't like it either. This time of year we like to give her minnows in the tub since she won't go in the creek until the water warms up next season. She'll be super excited for that! However, she's not very fast so she usually waits until the fish are in shock, then she can catch them easily! This time of year she also increases her oyster shell intake. Hopefully that will help keep her a little warmer!

Right before it got too cold for Gil, I took her and my gma's lab (my childhood dog) to the dog park. I absolutely love spending time with them together. The lab is pretty well trained as he was my practice dog while I was going through K9 training school so it's fun to take him out! Since he's so well trained and Gil won't leave my side, I had the opportunity to explore new area's that I would have never thought of checking out if I didn't have a pet duck. I know I am going to remember these years of my life forever. She's changed my life in so many ways but the most important thing she's done for me has to be teaching me to stop and appreciate the little things. She looks at life like a child, bright eyed and bushy tailed. It has helped me to process life in a calmer way with more patience which has been so beneficial!

Here's some pics with the kiddos. I never knew growing up that my young adulthood would be so important to me from the animals I have by my side. I already resent the day everything changes. I hope you guys can experience just a fraction of the magic they leave me with. I couldn't explain it and I couldn't replace it.
    Bestfriends .png Gil.png GilSonny.jpg GilSonny2.png
    (My hair was only purple for 1 day!!!)
    Boy do I love these goof balls!!!

2. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Sorry your ducks were stolen, I have that fear everyday! Ducks are the best birds in the world I don't know what i'd do without them :love

3. KaleIAm

KaleIAm Songster

Jul 13, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Cute duck!!

Raenh, Ted_Harrell and Kkrista123 like this.
  4. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I always worry about my ducks too. My muscovy flies everywhere and I don't want anything happening to get, I like that she can free range.

I'm sorry about your ducklings :hugs

I like the purple in your hair!

5. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    I don't know what I'd do without my Gil! I think she's so incredibly special, but honestly it's probably just the species. They're capable of so much more than we give them credit for!

Raenh, Miss Lydia and Duck_life like this.
  6. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    Thank you! Runner mix- not sure if mixed with ?khaki or saxony?- all I know for sure is her mom was a fawn and white runner. Dad could have been 1 of many in my friends flock!!!

Raenh and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Is she a khaki campbell? I have muscovies, mallards and pekins and their breeds are the friendliest breeds I've ever had, I've had khaki's but mine weren't much of people ducks, still very sweet and curious ducks.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Raenh, Miss Lydia and Kkrista123 like this.
  8. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    Add a human lock to your coop if you're even questioning your ducks safety. I wish I did that but I couldn't have predicted this situation because I live in such a safe, quiet area. It was just some bored teens that had nothing better to do. Gil means the world to me!
    Thanks!

9. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    So her mom is a fawn and white runner but we lost track of the dad. My friends duck laid the egg, we got her egg and hatched her out. Her dad could have been literally anything because she has MANY ducks. We think either Khaki or Buff. Some people have guessed saxony. Add a guess to the list!! She's super friendly but that might have been a result of her environment growing up rather than breed.

Raenh and Duck_life like this.
  10. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Did you ever get the ducks back.. found them.. how do you know they were teens? Poor ducks, how did Gil manage and escape?

Raenh likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: