1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gimley is confused

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsejody, Mar 26, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Gimley is a 2 1/2 month old Golden Cuckoo Marans roo. When we get home from work, we let the chickens free range. While the big chickens are in the yard, we take Gimley and his brother, Normie, out of their cage and let them run around and explore the coop. The door is open, but they don't venture outside yet. They mostly sit and stare at my broodie Buff Cochin hen. I guess she has been quite the role model because last night when I went to put the boys back in their cage with the heat lamp for the night I found Gimley by the nest boxes sitting on a plastic egg. [​IMG]

ETA: You may remember Gimley from previous posts. He was my spraddle leg boy with the bandaid braces.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Aww too cute, maybe he's one of those Mr. Moms we hear about!

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    HMMMMMMM maybe he grew upside down in the egg?

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    lol.

he's a family guy.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Maybe it's the chicken version of playing with dolls. Perhaps I should make a GI Joe uniform for the egg so it won't seem so girly.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

Seriously, my nephew had a doll, her name was Debbie, he is a fine normal well balanced hard working young man now.
    I think Gimley is just checking everything out, he will grow up to be a fine normal rooster..... [​IMG]

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Roosters will brood on eggs too if their hen is taking a short break and he feels the need. I think he's just a sweet little family guy.

or maybe he was just sitting i nthe stupid nest because he felt like it and there just HAPPENED to be an egg, and now he's terribly embarrassed that his mum is touting it all over the internet... lol.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Isn't it a mom's job to embarrass her kids?

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] That is so funny, Jody!

10. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    maybe he has some emu in him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by