Gimme Back My Egg!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Jan 9, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The other morning, DH was in the coop doing morning chores when my blue Ameraucana, Nora, started pitching a fit, yelling loudly. I heard some of it on the baby monitor. Heard him say, "What's wrong, Nora?" When he came inside he told me that she was looking at a hen in the #2 nest and yelling her head off. He reached underneath the hen and pulled out a blue egg. He asked her if that was her egg and showed it to her. She started trying to pull it toward her so he placed it in the #1 empty nestbox and she went in, sat on her egg, and didn't make another sound. Silly hen must have been run off the nest after laying and wanted her egg back! Nora had serious egg issues back in June when she quit laying and went broody. She only began laying again a couple weeks ago, but I wasn't sure if it was her or Snow, her sister, who also lays a nice blue egg. Apparently, it was Nora all along and now her egg shell quality seems good at last.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ah yes, Sunday morning on the chicken farm, doesnt get any better, does it?

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It's funny how after time we learn what they are saying!!

4. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    I think its adorable that Nora recognized her egg. And that she has your DH trained so well!!!

5. Chicken Junkies

Chicken Junkies Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a little Serama hen that we think is an egg hoarder. She just goes from nest to nest and always goes in the one with the most eggs. Think she can count? So funny to see her up on a pile of 7 - 8 eggs.

6. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] Chickens are the funniest little animals ever!

7. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Oh, yeah, she sure does! They all do, if you want to know the truth.

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Well I'm glad the Mr. was there to help out little Nora! Also glad she's feeling better. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

I'm happy that her six month hiatus helped her body get back on track. She had quite a long vacation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by