Gimme the dirt... whats a quiet and calm chicken breed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by conny63malies, Oct 20, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Well right now i only have a millie fleur d' uccle that thinks its a muscovy and 3.3 scovies. I want to build a coop next year and need 3-4 quiet inhabitants. WE live in the city and poultry is illegal, but my neighbors aint bothered and i am flying under the radar. What would you say is a rather calm quiet breed that lays well and is winter hardy.ook are not important(i live in NE Ohio) I know the d'uccles are quiet but even with them laying 3-4 eggs a week its not enough, the eggs are just to tiny. How are faverrolles in general(or flavor-rolls as my DD calls them)?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Standard cochins, hands down. They lay good, are winter hardy and are quiet. Plus they are calm, gentle birds.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Silkies

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I don't have faverolles, so I can't comment there, but I can say that my RIRs and Barred Rocks are THE most talkative of the bunch. [​IMG] My brahmas talk a little, but the pullets are not noisy. The roos have big booming voices when they are adults. [​IMG] I used to have a buff orpington that was quiet, and a good egg layer. Same with the black australorps. I have yet to see what my BBS orpingtons are like as adults, but I'm looking forward to finding out. [​IMG]
    Good luck!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If you want quiet do not get a silver spangled hamburg. She yells all the time.

6. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Without question. Buff Orpington. Quiet, calm, hardy, beautiful, NOT totally lacking personality (like Brahma's), NOT maniacal (like Polish) and NOT stubborn and stupid like my Silkies. Good layers even in a cold Canadian winter.

7. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

My Buff Orp is much quieter than my RIR and Black Sex link.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

bantam cochin, silkies, and faverolles. My faverolles are very quiet, and friendly. The rooster hardly even crows.

9. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    We have a Brabanter who is the sweetest thing. She loves to cuddle, is very very calm and she makes quiet little honks (don't ask me why she honks but it is the cutest thing.) She has never made any noticable noises. They are beautiful birds. Here are some pictures (They are supposed to have mohawks, Ellie only has a cowlick [​IMG] )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:Shoot, you haven't met MY brahmas!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] They're a riot!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by