1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gimp wing Anf possible blind eye. Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kylen2007, Mar 18, 2015.

1. kylen2007

kylen2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    Hello! A week ago I purchased my first dozen chicks. I got 6 Ameraucanas and 6 Black Jersey Giants. The next day after getting them home i noticed one of my Ameraucanas (Maddie) always had her head crooked. Upon further inspection i noticed her right was very watery and solid black. No sign lf a pupil just a black mass. The down around the eye were wet and some were missing. Also her right wing is half the size of her left and there is feathers and down missing underneath. I got them at a week old so they are currently two weeks. She eats and drinks fine. The other seem to leave her alone but she is always off by herself it seems. She is such a sweet heart and when i put my hand in and say maddie want up she will climb up and lay right down so i can pick her up. :) she is my snuggler. Is there anything i can do to belp her eye or wing? She turns her head funny like she can only see from her left eye. Thank you for ang help. Im new to all this. :)

2. Justicedog

Justicedog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Congratulations!!!

I'm not sure, though wanted to add that when I got my first 6 chicks 3 years ago, it was my araucana/americauna who became my special needs chicken as she's got a crooked beak and can't hunt for food or eat from the normal chicken feeder. She needs to stick her whole face in a bowl of food to eat and in the beginning, she ate while I held her. She's the one who will jump up on me and will always greet me and find out what I'm doing.

Other than going to a vet who knows chickens, I really don't have any suggestions. I hope someone else here can chime in.

3. kylen2007

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    Thanks! She is my special baby. At first her eye was goopy and all that has cleared at least. Just watery now. I called where i got her and they said they would take her back and exchange her but all i could think was no one wants a gimp. :) now she is baby and will be loved :) funny how attached you can get to an animal over a deformity.

4. Justicedog

Justicedog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    I do think if she's eating and drinking ok and the others aren't picking on her, she likely will do fine. Glad it's not goopy, hopefully the watering will go away.

Mine is named baby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. kylen2007

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    Maddie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The down is missing arouns the eye :(

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  6. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    There are articles on BYC that talk about Special Needs chickens. Until this year I had had 2 SN hens. By reading on this subject I was able to learn how to help them live with their issues. Search on special needs or eye problems you should be able to find some helpful information. Just watch that she isn't picked on. Keeping the eye clean is probably the most you can do. Also make sure she is eating and drinking enough. Check to make sure her crop. Is full when she goes to roost at night. Good luck and welcome to BYC.

7. kylen2007

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    Thanks! She is only two weeks so she is still inside im the brooder. I constantly catch her eating and drinking. (she is a little piggy!) and thank you i will have to check on those articles! So far everyone cuddles with her and is nice. She is just very low key and doesnt get into shenanigans like the others. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by