Gimpy Light Sussex Rooster???

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
1) What type of bird , age and weight= Light Sussex Rooster, approx 12lbs, 11 months old
2) What is the behavior, exactly= he cannot put weight on his left leg
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms= two days
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma = no, none
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation = I have no idea--we were gone for two days, came back and he's limping
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all = his normal food & fresh water
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. = hard to tell because there are others in his pen, but no poop in there looks weird
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None, I thought maybe he had slept wrong or had his leg fall asleep while dust-bathing but he's still gimpy
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I just would like to know what his deal is--I cannot show a one-legged bird and if no one wants him, he'll be going to the crockpot...
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. = bascially, it's just a BIG rooster standing with one leg up and he has a very bad limp when he moves. I've picked him up, checked for obvious wounds. There are none. And no swelling at the joints or anywhere else.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use= he's in a large run (sand) and the bedding in the coop itself is pine shavings.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions!

From the description this sounds like an injury. you could try aspirin (5mg. three times a day is the recommended dose, but we've given our roo 5mg. per pound (8 lb.) to good effect (would go follow his ladies around instead of staying hunkered down in the coop door). We just crushed a 81mg. cardiac aspirin, divided into 4 piles and daubed up individual piles with grape sections (wolfed them down - 2 piles ~40mg).

Info on recommended dosing is found in the formulary of this downloadble reference (Avian Medicine: principles and applications), a handy tome: http://www.avianmedicine.net/ampa.html

Hope
your boy improves quickly!

frow.gif
Thank you! I never thought of giving a chicken aspirin!

My 12 week old pullet sprained her leg a few weeks ago- the roof of the mini coop fell in. Anyway, I crushed an aspirin (81 mg) in a tiny amount of water, and then gave her about 1 cc/ml three times a day for a few days. She healed up nicely after about 7-10 days.

Back
Top Bottom