Gimpy Little Leghorn, whats wrong with her? *added Picture*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KaylaBird, Jun 14, 2011.

1. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    I have 4 hens. A barred rock, buff orpington, blue cochin, and a leghorn. All of them seem normal enough and have been laying fine except for my little leghorn. She is 6 months old and is smaller then any of my other hens. She is not at the bottom of the pecking order, my cochin seems to be the most picked on, however she is very timid and scared of the other chickens. She eats, but I would say when my girls get treats, she almost never gets any because she wont fight for it. She also has a hard time flying, she sleeps on the ground because she can't get up to either of the low or high roosts and if she tries to fly from my hand if I pick her up, she lands chest first with her face in the dirt. It is the saddest thing. I have seen her land right a few times but not often. She also has not yet layed when all my others have started. Her comb is the largest and reddest and she looks healthy and clean otherwise. What could be wrong with my poor gimpy Gabby?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. KaylaBird

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    She also has really small and thin feet. All my other girls have thick strong feet. I'm not sure if thats just her breed, or if it is even an issue? Maybe it has to do with her being so tiny, or why she can't land. Though she can't fly up either, I watched her one evening look up at the other girls on the high roost and try to fly up there, she made maybe 2 inches off the ground...

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Can you post pics? What I do with my birds who are lower in the order, I give them their own separate food and things. I'll bump you, see if any smart people join in.

4. KaylaBird

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    I'll try and take a picture of her tomorrow so I can post it.
    I was out letting them free range today and I tried keeping her in the run isolated from the others to feed her some greens and let her have a go alone on the feeders but she just went into this little cardboard box we have for her on the floor and she went round and round in circles in that thing, i am assuming trying to make a little nest but then she just came out and scratched around the run. She wasn't interested in the chard I was holding out in front of her beak.

5. KaylaBird

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    I added a picture of her. Today I was bringing a treat up to their run and they all ran up to the fence and started pacing like they do, but the were all stepping on her and her head and she couldn't get up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by