Gimpy the meat chicken starts to walk PIC added

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LoneCowboy, May 30, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I think Gimpy is just doing this to pull at the old heart strings. When she was little enough, she'd get around by just using her wings to help propell her to where she wanted to go.

Then she got fat and could no longer lift herself with her wings. So, she went into a cage inside the tractor to protect her from the other chickens who would just walk on top of her and steal her food. I've been making sure she's got food and water within easy reach.

Well, today I went out to move the tractor and I lifted Gimpy's cage out of the tractor so I could move it. When I put it back in, she got up on her legs and walked a little bit. She's done it several times today. So, she's getting around pretty well and getting much stronger. The sad thing is, she's suffered and finally is starting to walk, only to get processed in about 2 weeks. [​IMG] I think she's pulling a Wilbur the pig on me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Thats funny I had one do the exact same thing. I was carrying her to and from the food and water right up until about 2 1/2 weeks before butchering time and then it was a miracle she started walking on her own and was quiet a bit smaller than the group but she made it to the end. [​IMG]

3. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have this other one, that is tiny body on these great big huge thick legs. Weirdest looking thing I've ever seen. I think I'm going to start feeding that one around the clock. Right now I take their food away at 7:00, except for Gimpy's but maybe I should try and get some of these little ones to catch up a bit.

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I would love to see pics of your meaties so we can compare. Didn't we get them around the same time? Mine will be Six weeks next Tuesday.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I have similar, but more upbeat story. I had a meat bird that had spraddle legs, and couldn't really walk. I tried the band aid trick but it didn't work. My wife even named it. Eventually it's legs corrected themselves, but it turned out McMurray made a mistake- this one never "grew" like the rest of my birds and it turned out it wasn't a Cornish Cross after all. Not positive as to what it is, but it has the same coloring, just much smaller. It's in with my layers now.

Pic- it's the one in the middle:

[​IMG]

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Could be a White Rock or a White leghorn

7. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yeah, Mine will be six weeks Monday so they are the same age. They are little fatties. I'll try to get a picture today. The fox has given up trying to get them, so we might actually make it to processing... knock on wood. [​IMG]

8. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, here's the pic of the chunkies. You can see Gimpy in her cage too, getting around pretty good.

I weighed a couple of random birds today. The roo weighed 6 lbs, and the hen weighed 5 lbs. I'm thinking they are getting processed at 7 weeks instead of 8

[​IMG]

9. bgates1970

bgates1970 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    It looks like a White Leghorn. I have a bunch of Cornish X with Leghorn and that's exactly how they look side by side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by