Ginger is having trouble with egg laying - advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sadies chicks, Jul 25, 2011.

1. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    So my NH Ginger started laying about 2+ weeks ago. She started out by laying very thin-shelled eggs that would break (I am assuming) once laid. She then had a few good days where she laid very lovely brown eggs. Saturday she went back to the thin-shelled and laid an egg INSIDE another egg which was very large (both thin-shelled). Yesterday she didn't lay anything but where she tried to lay there was fluid but from what I could tell no egg product. Today, another thin-shelled egg. I am at a loss here since Firecracker, my red sex link is laying like crazy! They both get the same food so I am not sure it would be a nutrient difficiency? They get treats of cottage cheese, broken up egg shells, hard boiled eggs, greens...you name it.

Any advice? Do I just let her work through it?

thanks!

2. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Assuming they get a calcium source, I would just wait longer. Sometimes they lay funky eggs for awhile when they just start. It could mean there is something wrong, but where she is a new layer, I would give her time before worrying.

3. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Ok, I will give her more time. She seems very healthy otherwise.

thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by